What is a jewellery warranty?
So you’ve just bought a piece of jewellery that comes with a warranty, or you’re researching jewellery for your next investment and keep seeing places advertise a ‘jewellery warranty’ – but what exactly is that? Let’s unpack what a jewellery warranty really is, and why it’s so important.
What are jewellery warranties important?
A jewellery warranty is basically a promise from the jeweller that if something goes wrong with your jewellery within a certain period of time (and it’s not your fault), they’ll fix it, replace it or give you your money back. Most warranties last from 1 to 5 years, but this can vary from jeweller to jeweller. Always check the duration of the guarantee before you buy any piece.
What’s typically covered by a jewellery warranty:
- Manufacturing defects (if a gemstone falls out, if a clasp breaks, etc.).
- Sometimes it can include routine maintenance like cleaning and inspections, if you think there may be an issue with your jewellery.
What’s usually not covered with a jewellery warranty:
- Normal wear and tear (scratches, dents, damage from daily life etc.).
- Damage caused by accidents, misuse, or improper care.
- Lost or stolen items.
Using your warranty:
- Keep your proof of purchase: Always keep your receipt and any warranty documents safe. – you’ll need them if you ever need to make a claim. Keep them somewhere tucked away!
- Routine checks: If your warranty covers maintenance, take advantage of it! Regular checks can catch issues before they become big problems. If you spot anything out of the ordinary with your jewellery, take it back to your jeweller straight away.
- Know the process: Understand the process for making a claim – before you do. Find out information such as who do you contact? And what do you need to provide?
Tips and tricks for using your jewellery warranty:
- Read the fine print: Always read the warranty terms carefully before you buy. Know exactly what’s covered and what’s not.
- Ask questions: If anything’s unclear, don’t be afraid to ask – your jeweller should be happy to explain everything and answer any questions.
- Consider third-party insurance: For comprehensive coverage (including loss or theft), you might want to consider separate jewellery insurance for your new piece.
Looking for more information on The Diamond Store’s jewellery warranty?
Read all about our 5 year guarantee, and what is and isn’t included in the warranty, in our helpful guide, here. Got any questions not answered here? As always, feel free to get in touch with our friendly team, who would love to clear up any confusion you might have.