What is a heart cut diamond?
When love and craftsmanship collide, the heart cut diamond is born. But this gemstone cut isn’t just for costume pieces, the heart cut diamond can be a testament to your love in fine jewellery form. Learn more about the heart cut diamond, its advantages, possible disadvantages and the best ring styles to complement its shape.
Why a heart cut diamond?
- A romantic statement: This cut is instantly recognisable by its heart shape, which has become synonymous with love and affection.
- Complex cut: It features a cleft at the top and typically has between 56 and 58 facets, requiring high levels of skill to create a symmetrical and brilliant heart.
- Historical elements: The heart cut has evolved over centuries, with the earliest records dating back to the 1400s.
Pros of the heart cut diamond:
- Distinctiveness: Less common than round or princess cuts, a heart cut diamond stands out in a crowd.
- Symbolism: It’s the ultimate romantic gesture, perfect for engagements, anniversaries, and Valentine’s Day jewellery gifts.
- Brilliance: When cut well, it can exhibit sparkle and fire akin to the most popular diamond shapes.
Cons to Consider:
- Requires high quality stones: To maintain its shape and sparkle, higher clarity and colour grades are recommended, which can increase the cost of your diamond.
- Size matters: Smaller heart cuts can lose their definition, so a larger stone is often necessary to preserve the heart shape. Again, this means you might need to opt for a higher carat weight.
- Setting sensitivity: The cleft and point of the heart need protection, so the setting must be secure and well-designed to prevent damage.
The best ring styles for heart cut diamonds:
- Solitaire settings: The simple design allows the unique shape of the diamond to be the star of the show.
- Bezel (or rubover) settings: Protect the more vulnerable points of the heart cut while offering a modern appearance.
- Three-stone settings: Flank the heart with two smaller stones to symbolize your past, present, and future love.
Styling tips for your heart shaped ring:
- Go for symmetry: A well-proportioned heart is essential for the perfect heart cut diamond ring, otherwise your diamond will not look like a defined heart-shape. Therefore choosing a jeweller skilled in diamond cutting is a must.
- Size up: Consider a slightly larger carat weight to ensure the heart shape is visible and prominent. This will make your diamond slightly more expensive but will ensure it’s a show-stopping piece.
- Mind the band: Opt for a simpler band to keep the focus on the diamond’s unique shape. Your heart shaped diamond will remain the star of the show.
Not quite your perfect diamond shape?
Not to worry – there are plenty of other diamond cuts and shapes to choose from. Discover our selection of beautiful engagement rings here, for more inspiration. Alternatively, chat to our friendly team here, who can help you find your dream piece.