Is it okay to try on engagement rings with your partner?
If you’re thinking about proposing to your loved one soon, you’ve probably thought quite a bit about the engagement ring. But no matter how much you know them and their style, and however much research you do, there’s always that nagging feeling that they might not like your selection. You might be wondering if it’s okay to go ring shopping with your partner – or whether it spoils the surprise. Here, we look at the advantages and disadvantages of trying on engagement rings with your partner.
What are the advantages of engagement ring shopping with your partner?
Picking an engagement ring is a difficult task, as it’s the most important piece of jewellery your fiancée-to-be will likely ever wear. It’s also a vessel for asking a very big question! Here are the advantages of choosing the ring together;
- They will get to choose exactly what they like. After all, they have to look at it every day, forever. No one will know exactly what they want as much as they do – so they’re guaranteed to like it
- You can have clear discussions of budget beforehand, and what makes sense for you to spend as a couple – so there are no surprises on the big day
- You’ll know the ring will fit them exactly right, with no re-sizing necessary. This is probably the best perk of shopping together, as finding out the size of your partner’s finger is often the hardest part of the ring shopping process (still need some help finding it out? Use our app or follow our instructions, here). Knowing this information means that you can access any styles you’d like, because some eternity style rings cannot be resized – meaning if you were to get the size wrong, it couldn’t be changed at all
- Your partner might consider parts of their lifestyle that you wouldn’t, when ring shopping. For example, you might want to choose the ring that’s prettiest – but they might think about certain aspects of their job or lifestyle that would make certain types of rings more suitable than others
What are the disadvantages of engagement ring shopping with your partner?
However, some people may argue it’s not traditional to shop together, and that your partner should be surprised with your choice of ring. Here’s some of the disadvantages of engagement ring shopping with your partner;
- It can be considered ‘non-traditional’ to shop for rings with your partner, as historically, the ring would be picked in secret by the person doing the proposing. Although the proposal can still be a surprise, and in most cases, a proposal and ‘dream ring’ will have already been discussed, there’s always a chance that ring shopping together can spoil some of the ‘magic’ around the proposal
- If you choose your ring for your partner alone, you are in sole control of the budget. If you shop together, you may end up needing to spend more than you had in mind
- There is also the chance that you may be disappointed in what your partner chooses – you may have a specific design in mind you were hoping to buy for your fiancée, and they opt for something totally different!
Should you shop for rings together?
Overall, it’s a totally personal opinion, and it’s up to you as a couple. You could always bring up shopping together and see if it’s something they’d like to do, or alternatively, you could simply go and try rings on (with no intention of purchasing on the day), to get an eye for their style – and then choose the final piece solo. If you’re looking for engagement ring inspiration, check out The Diamond Store’s beautiful options, and if you need any advice, feel free to get in touch with the friendly team, who will be more than happy to help you make your selection.