Why should you choose a vintage style engagement ring?
A vintage style engagement ring can be perfect for those looking for something unique, yet timeless. Read on for the pros and cons of choosing a vintage style engagement ring.
What are the pros of choosing a vintage style engagement ring?
A vintage style engagement ring makes for a beautiful, unique choice. Find out our favourite reasons for choosing one below.
- A vintage style engagement ring will always be in style – even if the design looks ‘old fashioned’, because the designs are not too contemporary, flashy or modern, the styles will not age. They’ve been popular for decades for a reason!
- You also want to think about what style of ring suits the clothes you wear daily – and a vintage style engagement ring can match your personality perfectly, if you love to dress in the style of decades gone by. Some engagement rings can feel too contemporary to match your everyday dress, so a vintage style could be the perfect piece to complement your outfits.
- A vintage style engagement ring is a great option if you love to stand out. The designs are unique, and you can usually guarantee no-one you know will have the exact same ring as you!
What are the cons of choosing a vintage style engagement ring?
There aren’t many cons of choosing a vintage style engagement ring, but here are some things to consider.
- If you’re buying a truly vintage ring (i.e., not just a vintage ‘style’) then you need to research whether it will stand up to the test of daily wear and tear. Old styles of ring making won’t incorporate modern techniques, and as such your ring – or the stones in it – may not be robust enough for daily wear. You’d also need to have it checked out by a jeweller for signs of wear, as the older a ring is, the more likely it is that a stone is loose, or a setting could be faulty from past damage. As with all jewellery, it’s important to check it regularly for any defects – but that’s especially true with vintage pieces.
- Vintage style jewellery tends to incorporate more gemstones, because – for an engagement ring – gemstones were actually more popular than diamonds, in the past. If you don’t think a gemstone engagement ring is traditional enough for you, you may want to opt for something more contemporary.
- Vintage style engagement rings tend to be multi-stone rings (as was the fashion), which can be slightly more difficult to clean. The multiple settings mean that dirt has more places to hide – so just be mindful you may need to clean your ring more often.
Not sure if a vintage style engagement ring is for you?
There are plenty of other options out there. Take a look at all our engagement rings, here. Otherwise, learn more about other ring styles, and their pros and cons – such as solitaire rings, halo rings, three stone rings, statement rings and pavé rings.