In this article, we offer you the best engagement ring engraving tips and ideas. Discover what the highest quality engraving technique is, how much having your ring engraved should cost, as well as interesting ideas and popular words to inscribe on your ring.
What is ring engraving?
Ring engraving is an art that has been around for millennia. It is the practice of inscribing a message, symbols, letters or numbers onto the inside of the metal band of your ring.
Why engrave your engagement ring?
Engraving your engagement ring with a message turns it into a treasured keepsake. As a result, your ring becomes truly personal and unique.
How is engraving done?
In the past, our ancestors would inscribe jewellery and metal items painstakingly by hand. But these days, most jewellers use a machine.
How does an engraving machine work?
There are two main types of jewellery engraving machines: laser and diamond tip. Both rely on a linked computer system that guides the engraving tip (whether laser or diamond point) according to a pre-programmed template. This, in turn, marks the surface of the metal with the desired letters, numbers or symbols.
Which type of engraving is the best?
Laser engraving is arguably the best method because it:
- Creates tidy surface marks without breaking the metal
- Doesn’t put pressure on the jewellery item so there’s no risk of it bending or breaking during the engraving process
- Is environmentally friendly, free of chemical residues
- Is precise and detailed, and thus lasts longer than traditional engraving
3 Essential engraving tips
- Keep it short – rings are small and space is limited
- Choose capital letters – these come out the clearest
- Make it personal – it’s a sentimental keepsake after all
Top 10 ideas of messages to engrave on your ring
- An important date – the day you met or the day of your engagement
- Name or initials – your sweetheart’s name, or your own + their initials
- A place of significance – such as the place where you met
- A question – ‘Marry Me?’ is a popular question
- A statement – ‘I love you’ is a classic declaration
- A secret message – a word of special meaning only you two understand
- Nicknames – eg. ‘Pebbles’ or ‘Bunny’
- A short sentiment – eg. ‘Forever’ or ‘Always’
- Something funny and sweet – eg. ‘Finders Keepers’ or ‘One Love’
- A combination of ideas – often your engagement date + initials
Can all engagement rings be engraved?
No, not all rings are apt for engraving. Therefore, if you want an engraving on your engagement ring now or in the future, make sure the band is sturdy and wide enough for including a message. Your jeweller will be able to tell you if this is the case.
How much does engraving cost?
Good jewellers offer an engraving service for a small fee, when you buy an engagement ring that is suitable for engraving. We know we do!
Here’s a selection of rings for engraving
Here are just a few examples out of hundreds of engagement rings that we offer with engraving. On our website, you’ll find many more. Simply look for engagement rings marked with the words ENGRAVABLE.
Have more questions about engraving?
If you have more questions about engraving your engagement ring, we’re always happy to help. Simply get in touch with our Personal Shopper team via Live Chat at TheDiamondStore.co.uk. Or you can send us a message through our Contact Us page and we’ll get back to you with our best engraving advice.