Can you tell a ring size by shoe size?
When it comes to shopping for jewellery for other people, particularly engagement rings, you might seek a shortcut to try and determine the correct size. One common myth is that you can tell a person’s ring size by their shoe size. But it’s not entirely true. Here, we debunk the myth (and let you know some actually foolproof methods, to get the ring size right the first time!)
Understanding the shoe size and ring size myth
The idea that you can predict someone’s ring size based on their shoe size has been around for years. However, it’s important to recognise that this method is largely inaccurate and will most likely lead to disappointing results.
Why shoe size and ring size don’t correlate
- Lack of proportionality: Shoe size and ring size are not proportionate to each other. People with the same shoe size can have drastically different finger sizes – there is no average correlation between how big your hands and feet are!
- Varied shoe sizing systems: Shoe sizes vary widely around the world and across different brands. There is no specific measurement that would work for everyone.
- Different finger shapes: People have different finger shapes and widths, which significantly affect their ring size. Someone with slender fingers might wear a smaller ring size than another person with the same shoe size but wider fingers. Additionally, each finger on our hands varies in size. So even if you knew the ring size for one finger, it wouldn’t give you a 100% accurate size for a different finger on the same hand!
Accurate methods to determine a ring size
To ensure you get the correct ring size for yourself or a loved one, it’s best to rely on precise methods (or run the risk of needing your piece resized!):
- Ask directly: Of course, if it’s a surprise proposal, you may not want to ask directly. But you could ask for another reason, or in casual conversation. You could even ask their friends or family to ask on your behalf.
- Use an existing ring: Borrow one of their existing rings (from the correct finger) and take it to a jeweller for sizing. Ensure it’s a ring they wear on the same finger you intend the new one for, as different finger sizes vary.
- Use a ring sizer: We’ll send you one, for free!
- Use a ring sizing app: Download The Diamond Store’s free ring sizing app, here.