23 Aug Exquisite Floral & Event Design for Your Wedding – Interview with Tony Marklew
Tony Marklew‘s fairy tale touch turns a wedding into a romantic and magical wonderland, an unforgettable experience that’s unique to each and every client. Read below about his inspiration and style. Above all, feast your eyes on his designs. They say a picture is worth a thousand words… with these stunning images of Tony’s work we can multiply that by a million.
1. We love your title, Event Imagineer. How did you become an event and floral designer?
“My career path into events has been a very organic journey. I’ve always loved being creative and treasure the effect that my work can have on others. It’s definitely fair to say that everywhere I’ve been and everything I’ve done has molded me into who I am now.”
2. Could you tell us about the services you offer?
“I’m fortunate to love my work and the services I offer, which are all-embracing. I relish the challenge of designing and planning events, touching every sense where possible or simply decorating and flowering the proceedings.”
3. On your website it says your “early pursuits in theatre and fashion” helped to influence your imagination. Can you tell us more about that?
“I like to think of myself as chameleon with regard to my ability to be able to work with a client’s brief, but inevitably, my stage and fashion background give my work a distinctly theatrical feel.”
4. How would you describe your style?
“Despite my fashion background I’m not a follower of event trends and prefer to work with the client, their venue, to create a unique and personal memory that will last forever.”
5. Career highlights so far?
“Naming a specific career highlight is super difficult, I genuinely relish every opportunity, working with the most amazing people and in the most incredible locations… and being able to share what I love.”
6. When you first meet a couple who are planning their wedding, is there any advice you give them before you begin to come up with ideas? What should a bride consider when deciding on flowers?
“The process by which I work is different for almost every event. Sometimes a client will come having found and secured their perfect venue, whilst others will need help in searching for that special place. I find it immensely important to understand the client and their ideas for their party before I attempt floral flourishes and sketch roomscapes. As I mentioned previously events should assault all the senses to create the most impressive and memorable atmosphere.”
7. Once your design process begins, how do you come up with ideas? Where do you look for inspiration?
“I always look for synergy… flow. An event has to flow from conception to execution and the flowers must sit well in the space, aside from perhaps being personal favourites of my clients.”
8. Apart from flowers, what other types of materials or elements do you like to integrate into your designs?
“I’m open to using any medium to create the most fitting effect for the party and the space if it means painting a monochrome, two dimensional background to dress with bright, vibrant florals. I’m always game to try something new. Props and furniture are pinnacle in helping to achieve the perfect atmosphere and environment. I guess it’s temporary interior design – and always great fun.”
10. Finally, what’s your favourite flower?
“My favourite flower? Hmm… Favourites are difficult, it’s like my favourite fragrance it depends on my mood, the time of day and the time of the year! Today, though, I love peonies, etched salmon.”