So what are the celebs spending on engagement rings these days (and how much are these fiancés earning)?
10. Big spender, Ben Affleck, is set to appear in this list twice. Bagging spot number ten first, he spent an estimated $500,000 on the ring he used to propose to actress and producer girlfriend, Jennifer Garner (half the amount he spent on the ring he gave to J-Lo…).
9. When French pro-basketball player Tony Parker took the plunge and decided to propose to Desperate Housewives star Eva Longoria, he commissioned renowned jeweller, Jean Dousset, to create a unique emerald-cut diamond ring that is thought to have cost more than $500,000.
8. The radiant-cut, yellow-diamond engagement ring on the finger of Brooke Mueller was put there by cheeky chappy Charlie Sheen – a ring that is reported to have cost over £550,000.
7. When Prince Charles proposed to Camilla Parker on bended knee, he was holding one of the most exquisite square-cut-diamond and white gold engagement rings in the celebosphere… Once owned by the Queen Mother, this Art-Decoera ring is estimated to be worth a cool million.
6. Ben Affleck’s proposal to J-Lo back in the mid-noughties saw him give her the gift of a 6.1-carat pink diamond, Harry Winston engagement ring worth $1.2 million.
5. Katie Holmes’ huge Edwardian-style, 5-carat, oval-shaped diamond engagement ring set in platinum and rose gold was her gift from now-husband, Tom Cruise. The unusual setting spices up the antique-styling, and this ring, rumoured to have cost over $1.5 million, is just a perfect example of how antique-inspired rose gold and platinum engagement rings should look.
4. When Michael Douglas asked Welsh actress Catherine Zeta-Jones to marry him, he gave her a 10-carat, marquise-cut antique diamond engagement ring with a value said to be more than $2 Million.
3. When Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis’ 40-carat diamond ring, given to her by second husband Aristotle Onassis, was auctioned off for $2.6 million way back in 1996, it became the third most expensive engagement ring in history.
2. Back in 2004, billionaire business tycoon Donald Trump’s engagement gift to fiancée Melania Knauss was a 15-carat diamond ring. It was, for a time, the most expensive engagement ring and the most impressive one in history, as historical gemstone rings go. And then…
1. Paris Hilton’s 24-carat emerald-cut diamond ring was her engagement gift from Greek shipping heir, Paris Latis. However, while the grand gesture was worth a staggering $4.7 million, it appeared to be just that as the engagement lasted a mere four months and Hilton consequently auctioned the luxury trinket off for charity.